Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Thol
Tinkerer
Username: Thol

Post Number: 11

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Friday, March 16, 2012 - 09:50 pm:   

This is a cross post — I put it on the repair forum, but perhaps it more properly belongs here.

This post is about what may prove to be a novel way that I found to clean a mirror in an SLR camera:

Recently I was trying to get a Fujica ST-701 to work properly around the speed dial and glanced at the mirror. It was very filthy, despite the camera looking otherwise pretty fresh. The camera has suspect timing so I thought, "What to lose?" Here is what I did —

I took a piece of Blu-Tac and warmed it up so as to be pliable. Then I set the material as a 3-4 mm layer covering half of the mirror. I gently tamped it with the blunt end of some tweezers. Then I lifted the Blu-Tac and remolded it to a fresh contact area and put it on the remaining part of the lens. I worked about to remove some residue all the while estimating what might be diminishing returns for my efforts.

The result: from a really filthy mess to a very respectably clean mirror — no visible scars, scratches or residue. The mirror returns to the bumper as smoothly as before. The viewing screen is nice and bright.

Now if I can only find out why this camera will not stay the shutter open on Bulb.

The usual warning — do it at yer own risk, and YMMV. I for one am really glad I discovered this. However, I doubt I am the first!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration