Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

M_currie
Tinkerer
Username: M_currie

Post Number: 293

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2012 - 08:22 pm:   

I saw no pictures. I have no particular experience with Canon mounts, so my advice must be assumed to be sort of generic here, but I have had difficulty in the past with a Nikon or two. IN the case of Nikon, there's a little setscrew in the lens mount which prevents it from over-rotating, and if that is gone, it can go too far over, or even start to come off in the wrong direction. When this happens, the aperture levers in lens and camera get crossed, and jamming occurs. It also sometimes occurs with Nikon and others that the little latch that engages the back side of the lens jams. When this latter occurs, sometimes you can work a very thin tool between lens and camera to push that latch out.

In the case of the lost setscrew, other than breaking or bending something, it is sometimes possible to open the back, and put the shutter in T mode, to hold it open. With shutter open, you can see what is interfering.

Before sacrificing anything, I'd at least try getting the shutter to stay open and see if there's any information visible there. If the lens was able to go in in the wrong alignment, its a good possibility that the problem will be in the interference of levers, and you might be able to bend one over the other without breaking anything. YOu might also be able to pull back on some lever or pin, which can be accessed from inside. It's worth a look.

Failing that, I'd take it somewhere else if you can. I'm willing to bet this has happened before, and a good technician will know a trick that doesn't involve ruining things that badly.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration