Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Hollenbj
Tinkerer
Username: Hollenbj

Post Number: 65

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2012 - 08:39 pm:   

Jhstarz, Sorry if it was my comments that were less than desirable. However, you will be much, much, happier with the Soligor that Agchicago offered you. In fact that lens is downright nice. I'm not a "camera snob", by any means although it might sound that way from my post. But, I have had many decades of experience with a wide array of gear. Albinar lenses have clearly positioned themselves as a low cost, low performance lens for SLR owners who are satisfied with the mediocre images they produce. As I said before, if the photographer is happy with those results, then the lens is right for that person. Period. Having said that, I truly hope that the Soligor lens shines as the nice lens it is -- substantially less chromatic aberration, and less distortion too. It will be sharper at wide apertures and overall perform so much better.

Funny, but some of my favorite cameras and lenses are not much better performers than an Albinar. In fact I just finished a roll in my Brownie Hawkeye that has 1 shutter speed and no focus (its a beautiful bakelite cube-like thing). I have to re-roll 120 film onto a 620 spool to use the darn thing and the images come out fine only because of the magic of film latitude. I love the thing (I have 3 of them). In fact, I heartily recommend a Brownie Hawkeye to all fellow camera buffs. Most of us already know...images are soft focus, with flare, the whole "Lomo" experience. Oh boy.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration