Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Harlee
Tinkerer
Username: Harlee

Post Number: 100

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 - 09:55 pm:   

Well, I tore down my XA1 and freed up the red flag in the viewfinder which locks up the shutter and film advance. It's quite simple once you get the bottom and top off as well as the faceplate. I shot a roll and am very pleased with the results. I would say that the pictures as as good as what I get out of my XA2 and XA3. Unfortunately, the film stopped advancing about mid roll so I removed the bottom and discovered that apparently when the shutter was locked up someone tried to force the film advance thumbwheel and stripped a couple of teeth off the plastic film advance gear.

I'm in the process of rebuilding the plastic gear with epoxy and thus far it's working but noticed that another tooth is gone on the other side of the gear which I'll need to repair tomorrow. I'm presently on the lookout for a nonworking XA1 to pull the plastic gear out of it and place it in mine.

I pulled the bottom off of a non working XA2 to see if I could change gears, which are metal on the XA2 but discovered the gear from the XA2 is smaller than the one on the XA1. Hopefully the epoxy will work as there really isn't much pressure on the rewinding gear.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration