Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Marty
Tinkerer
Username: Marty

Post Number: 104

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2012 - 09:50 am:   

That's a wonderful camera you have there,Dxgcanada! I have to confess I'm really covetous of that!
This is a very illuminating thread! I have to confess I've never heard of red rot... This led to me do some considerable googling. From what I read, I've probably seen it to varying degrees, but I've probably passed on buying most cameras that suffer from it. With a camera as nice as this one though, I'd definitely spring for it. (If I could afford it in the first place.) While definitely more complex, red rot sounds somewhat analogous to high acid paper eating itself up. The condition doesn't sound as contagious as mold and mildew, but I can see how it could "burn" other leather in contact with it.
I ran across a couple of good links, if I can get these to work:

preservation-solutions.blogspot.com/2012/02/what-is-red-rot-leather-and-how-to.html

and

jeffpeachey.wordpress.com/2012/01/31/new-treatment-for-red-rot/

Maybe it's just me, but I'd probably try to preserve the hideous old leather. I've seen some wonderful re-leathering jobs, but on antique cameras it just doesn't appeal to me. With "classic" cameras, which are more often discussed on this forum, I'd probably feel differently. Personal preference. The products Klucel G and Restoration Leather Conditioner are things I might wind up sending off for, just in case I run into something like this.
In this particular case, I might well wind up also dying the leather... I doubt if the remaining old dye would wind up looking very good, and the leather dye would also color small areas of exposed wood. Not good... I don't like it much... But if the other option is to remove all the leather anyway and go with a whole new covering...

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration