Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Steve_roberts
Tinkerer
Username: Steve_roberts

Post Number: 72

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2013 - 09:11 am:   

I had a focus issue with my MX whereby the infinity focus was off and anything shot with the lens wide open just wasn't crisp. I noticed that the black underside of the mirror had been worn away over the years by the mirror stop, which is sharp edged component rather than a large area pad as on Spotmatics. I investigated the screw beside the stop but chickened out of adjusting it as it seemed very stiff and I had a sense of foreboding! Instead, I tweaked each of the three screws that set the position of the viewing screen to bring infinity focus back. Doing this only works around the problem, as the mirror is clearly slightly off 45 degrees and the focussing is only correct when you use the centre of the viewfinder - but then that's where the split image and microprism focussing aids are, so I don't see this as a problem. (Think I may have already mentioned this somewhere on the site.) I'm sure that after 30+ years just about every MX that's seen its share of use will be suffering from the back of the mirror being worn away (you have to look closely). I'd be interested to hear if anyone has ever successfully moved the screw near the mirror stop.
Steve

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration