Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Santaji
Tinkerer
Username: Santaji

Post Number: 17

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2012 - 12:08 am:   

I'm having some slight issues with my Canonet QL17 (this is the "New Canonet" QL17 which does not have the GIII badge but is basically the same besides not having a check battery light)

I bought my camera recently at an antique shop quite cheap, assuming it was non working, but when i put in a 1.45v p675 battery i found that the metering/auto exposure was working so i shot a test roll of 400 iso film.

I compared the meter readings with my DSLR, and found that Canonet was over-exposign by about 1 - 2 stops, which is strange as with the higher voltage battery i'm using it's supposed to be underexposing. This was not a problem as when the film was developed all pictures looked properly exposed,

But i have noticed some other strange quirks with the metering with this camera,
I never get an aperture smaller than f8, even with the ASA set to 800, the slowest shutter speed and the camera pointed at a bright light source, the needle never moves below f8.
Also, when moving the ASA selector down from 100 to 25 ASA, the needle drops down to a smaller aperture instead of wider. the metering in 25 ASA is the same as 800 ASA.

100 - 800 ASA work fine besides overexposing slightly, and not giving a aperture smaller than f8.

What could be causing these issues? I'm mostly worried about the not getting small apertures issue.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration