Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Hollenbj
Tinkerer
Username: Hollenbj

Post Number: 98

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2013 - 07:48 pm:   

T6nn and other very helpful folks.

I would really like to see a photo of the actual interface between the optical wedge assembly and the prism housing. I don't know if the optical wedge assembly (brass part sticking out of the top plate in my original photo) unscrews to the left or the right. As best I can, I've soaked this part in lighter fluid and alcohol. I have tried every kind way of turning this assembly that I have available (lens wrench, rubber sheet and socket, fingers, etc.). It will not turn, budge, work loose or anything. It would help to know just which direction it is supposed to turn before I apply extreme force (I have vice grips with electrical tape on the jaws). The notches in the brass assembly will not survive any attempt to turn this piece, so there's no need to make a spanner for that. In fact, the vice grips will likely ruin the outside threads if I have to use them. In 20+ years, I have never had this much difficulty with a rangefinder window piece. I am beginning to think someone epoxied this assembly in place (but alcohol should soften epoxy). The frustrating part is this camera is the nicest Zorki 6 I've encountered and the shutter issue is a trivial fix if I could just remove the top plate. I'm desperately accepting any advice on how to get this dang thing off. I don't want to destroy this camera with stupid brute force. That optical wedge assembly is mostly very soft brass and I've already mangled it more than I'd like. Photographs of the parts (front of prism housing and back of optical wedge) and how they go together would be extremely helpful. I simply cannot find this information anywhere in my searches or in my literature. I have great photos of the top of the prism housing (from behind) and photos of the optical wedge on the camera with the cap ring in place, but that's it. Maisenburg just skims over this part of disassembly, saying there's two versions of the optical wedge; one that sticks out of the top plate (mine) and one that doesn't stick out of the top plate.

The only current information I can find on Zorki 6 disassembly is from Rangefinder Forum and the author said that upon unscrewing the cap ring of the optical wedge, it "just fell out" suggesting the piece is friction fit and not threaded at all. So, I just need to know if I'm going to unnecessarily destroy my camera or if I'm going to knowingly destroy my camera but at least I was attempting to remove the part in the correct way.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration