Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chrisb
Tinkerer
Username: Chrisb

Post Number: 26

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Friday, March 22, 2013 - 04:01 pm:   

I solved the problem I was having under the top cover with the meter coupling, and thought all I had left to deal with was cleaning the slow speeds escapement. Of course, it's never that easy . . .:-)

First, careful applications of solvent followed by repeated tripping of the shutter while blowing it out, haven't done any good. The shutter still takes about 1.3 secs when set at 1. So I'm wondering if my chances will improve significantly by removing the escapement. The indicators are that its removal is simple enough, but are there any hidden pitfalls? Any linkages or alignments I need to be aware of or make index marks for, so I can get everything properly back together?

Second, I initially thought that this was the root of the shutter/mirror issue, but it's now clear that this is a common problem with these cameras and may well be unrelated. I have tried the drop-of-oil-on-the-mirror-return-firing-gear trick, and it gave no result.

My next step was to crank up the 2nd curtain tension, which I've done in three stages going a notch or two at a time. So at this point I've gone 5 notches and don't want to go any further without outside input. Several dozen firings of the shutter give about 50% success rate (i.e. firing the shutter gives a complete cycle) at 1/1000th, but at 1 sec the mirror rarely returns.

So I'm hoping I can get some input from people about what I've laid out above. I also have a number of questions:

-I've noticed that when the first curtain fires, it never fully disappears. The metal edge piece always protrudes into the film gate. Is this how it's supposed to be? Or should it be disappearing completely into the slot? If it is supposed to 'disappear', what's the remedy?

-When the slow speeds are ticking off, I can see that the mirror return firing gear is turning, so it seems to be driven by the slow speed escapement even though the real motive force for tripping the mirror return lever comes from the second curtain, as far as I can tell. Is it possible that this linkage, or some other linkage (if there are any) is what's causing the slow speeds to run long?

-There is a kind of screeching noise when firing the shutter at slow speeds ( assume I'd hear it at higher speeds too, if the cycle wasn't so fast). I hear it almost every time the first curtain fires, and occasionally when the second curtain fires as well. Is this a sign of dried out springs, or perhaps a need of oil at the points where the shafts are seated? Or something else?

-And finally, when the second curtain fails to trip the mirror, if I go ahead and give the mirror release lever that final push, I'm rather surprised by the resistance it offers. It hardly requires "grunting force", it just seems far less delicately balanced than I would have thought. Is this adjustable? Or perhaps a little lube at specific points is called for?

I apologize for the length and all the questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration