Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chrisb
Tinkerer
Username: Chrisb

Post Number: 29

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Friday, March 22, 2013 - 08:04 pm:   

Arfd, thank you so much.

Your recommendation of lubing the spindle bearings was invaluable. A small drop of oil on each resulted in an immediate improvement, with the mirror returning as it should on the fast speeds and B. I even dialed the second curtain tension back a couple notches from the 5 notches that I had added earlier (though I'm getting a few fails now--less than 10%--so I may add that extra tension again if there is no further improvement).

Also, now, when the first curtain opens, the metal edge piece no longer projects as far into the film gate. Previously, almost the entire width was visible, whereas now only about 1/3 is. When the seccond curtain closes, only the merest edge is visible.

The slow speeds still do not work right, though. The second curtain does not fully close and the mirror does not return, and the curtain edge piece remains fully visible in the film gate. The actual speeds have not gotten any faster either (i.e. still slow by about 1/3 stop). I'm trying to make sense of this, how it could be connected to the second curtain/mirror issue. If indeed the two are connected.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration