Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 609

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Wednesday, July 17, 2013 - 06:18 pm:   

I hope you are photographing each step you've taken so far, as it's a great resource when you start to reassemble the shutter.

I usually don't like to get this far in dismantling a shutter, but have on occasion done so, finding that the levers have gotten out of shape during their many years of use, and have to be bent back into position.

Check the levers to see if any just pull straight off, while being observant of any tension springs that are hooked around posts, or tied down with screws. A dental pick type tool is useful for unhooking the springs. It looks like, going in a clockwise manner, that if you take off the levers in that order you should be okay.

While alcohol is a solvent, it has a lot of water in it, so I tend to use it mainly for cleaning the outside plating of the camera. Naptha/lighter fluid is best on the shutter blades, escapements, and levers. But only after the parts have been removed.

The Synchro-Compur is one of the few shutters that actually needs some lubrication. If you haven't flood cleaned it, you'll see where it was done before. I use a synthetic called Super Lube, as it doesn't travel, and works in a wide range of temperatures. You can either get it from Micro Tools, or at the hardware store.

Hope you don't have to take the blades out, I hear they can be a bit fussy getting them back in. So far, I haven't had to do that yet on one of these.

PF

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration