Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ezio

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 02:16 am:   

I will go in some details because this is might be of use to others. The camera had two distinct and unrelated problems.
1) Shutter blades were jammed beyond any previous experience. Repeated washes with lighter fluid didn't even cause them to bulge a bit. However, pure alcohol did the trick. Alcohol + another subsequent light fluid shower removed what looked like a bungle of hair or more probably rests of a Q-tip. The shutter now fires pretty happily - but reads below.
2) The cinematic chain for shutter release is as follows. The shutter release button has two prongs. These press down a ring plate around the advance shaft. This plate has a front tongue, which is connected through an L-element to the vertical piece which trips the shutter. The L-element was neatly broken. I can't even imagine what amount of brute force must be applied to it to break it, but broken it is. Of course, with the camera top out I can fire the shutter by simply pressing down the vertical piece. The L-element is attached to the tongue of the ring plate with two screws, but the connection to the vertical piece is by two rivets so I doesn't look like it can be separated. So I'm pondering on whether weld the two pieces of the L-element back together (which would need to be done while they are still on the camera), or replace the whole vertical piece + riveted L element with the assembly from a donor camera that I have available. This doesn't seem an easy job, though, because there are a lot of connections and small screws and springs etc. that I would need to remove and reinstall. Anyone perhaps been there?
As regards the lack of double wind prevention, the jury is still out on this. With the camera in its present conditions, sometimes cocking the shutter would block the lever, and sometimes it wouldn't.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration