Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jackson

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 08:50 pm:   

Being as you mentioned travel, I believe topcs such as reliability, battery availability, ruggedness and replacement cost are big issues. I would strongly favor an SLR for this.

My suggestion would be the Nikon FE for a "traditional" SLR or a Nikon N6006 if you're looking for something more automated. Each has a number of unique strengths and each is commonly available in the range of $100 US. I suspect you can't spend much less (in the Nikon line) without losing considerable capability, but that you would have to spend much more to do better. Of course, if a backup to you is a $1,000 camera, then your best choice will be much different.

My other advice on this would be to consider your shooting style. Do you prefer aperture priority or shutter preferred? Do you enjoy manual focus SLRs? Do you expect the backup to provide the same level of versatility as the primary camera? The answers to questions like these will lead you in the right direction.

Above all, have fun!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration