Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Alan Rockwood

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 11:15 pm:   

How about an Exa, provided you can find one that works? The beauty of the Exa is that it is very small, needs no battery, and takes most Exakta lenses, though the longer telephoto lenses have the image cutoff problem in the viewfinder.

I have a Rollie 35, and that is also a great little camera. Also, Petri once made a very small Rollie 35-inspired camera that might be interesting... actually had better ergonomics, but not as high quality as the Rollie.

One problem with some of the 60s-70s vintage cameras is that their built in meters require mercury cells, and you can't buy them in the USA anymore. In some cases there are some kind of adapter gizzmos that allow you to use batteries that are available still. For example, there is one for the Rollie 35 series cameras. (Oops, I just noticed that someone else already covered the battery issue.)

Alternatively, you could simply do without the meter. You can actually make a pretty good guess for exposure for most common lighting conditions based on published tables. If you are using negative film you can rely on some exposure latitude to take up some of the slop on exposure estimation. As I am sure you already know, slide films are less forgiving, but slide films are not much used anymore.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration