Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jackson

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 11:19 pm:   

I just bought a Yashica Lynx 14 mail order. It came at a great price, but (surprise!) it's got a few problems. I need to ask some questions of the experts here to know how best to proceed.

First, this camera was supposed to be unblemished, suffering only from a stuck shutter. That wasn't exactly true, but in any event, I have now freed the shutter. Nothing appears broken, and all the speeds are working (knock on leatherette).

What isn't working is the rangefinder. The patch is very weak and doesn't form a complete rectangle. Looking through the viewfinder eyepiece from a few inches away, I can see what appears to be a very spotty coating on the beamsplitter. Rather than replace the glass, I'm wondering if it might be possible to substitute the entire rangefinder from, say, a Lynx 5000. I have a 5000e here, but it's different. Does anyone know whether the early, non-IC 5000 and 1.4 use the same rangefinder assembly?

I could also use any advice on straightening out small dents. This has a ding in the top shell under the wind advance lever. It appears the lever was forced down into the body, because the lever fits the ding and is also bent. Also, are these levers made from good aluminum, or is it potmetal that will break the instant I tweak it?

Finally, it seems the metering isn't working. However, the meter moves when I apply a small voltage directly across the meter terminals. I have also verified with an ohmmeter that the CDS cell is changing resistance when exposed to light. I don't know what the exact dark and light resistance values should be, but I think this cell is probably in the ballpark. I need to ask, on the subject of the meter, should the needle rest on the underexposure post when the camera is unpowered? Or is this intended to be a self-centering meter movement with a bridge to move it both directions? I should add that the battery compartment is corrosion free, and that I powered the camera from a 1.35V DC power supply for the initial metering test.

I have posted photos of the bent lever, the ding and the meter's rest position at the following site:

My poor Lynx

Thanks for any assistance with this!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration