Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jackson

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 11:18 am:   

Well, I have determined that it is in fact the switch. If I press it just right and hold it at a certain position, the meter deflects. I was also able to see that the meter moves smoothly when the aperture and shutter rings are turned. I think it's safe to assume the metering circuit is basically OK. I sprayed some cleaner into the switch from the front, but that didn't help. Considering how it's working, I think this will turn out to be a mechanical problem with the contacts. I removed the bottom plate, but the switch isn't accessible that way. Several pieces of rotted foam fell out, along with small fragments of broken mirror. I'll bet the mirror pieces are the reason I can't see the meter needle in the viewfinder (saw that tip in the archives here).

Guess I'll have to go in from the front to get at the switch. Hmmm, appears the front leatherette has been removed in the past. Wonder what I'll find...

As it turns out, I think the most difficult problem to resolve in this camera will be the replacement beamfinder. I'm not hopeful aobut substituting a rangefinder asembly from another model, but maybe I can pull a beamfinder from a junk Electro.

You know, I don't understand why there are so many things wrong with this. It's only 40 years old. :)

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration