Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jon Goodman

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 01:05 pm:   

Well...last question first: It is possible (and easy in some instances) to perform transplant operations on cameras. A lot of them shared enough similarities (just like Chevrolets) to allow some mix & match. However, it might be easier to find an AE-1 parts camera onto which you could graft pieces of yours and hope for a worker. Actually, I think I have one with what seemed like a working shutter. Swapping the shutter assembly might not be as easy as you'd like, however. With a good mechanical knowledge, you probably could do it, but there are some pitfalls and things you would only learn after mistakes had occurred...like knowing to match the little numbers on the connecting rods to the corresponding number on the rod cap or the right way to install one of those &^%$## rope rear main seals so it actually keeps oil inside the engine. Things people don't always remember to tell you.

As for the fly's eye lens...Good Idea! I assume you're talking about a cheap one like kids used to get in a happy meal or something. I have one of those, somewhere. It didn't sell in our garage sale, and I've wondered what it would do if stuck on the outside of a lens like a filter. I'm disappointed I didn't think to actually use it as the lens itself. However, if we go back to the pinhole camera idea, why don't we just glue some actual fly's eyes onto the little holes we poke into the foil? They'd be about the right size.
Jon

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration