Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Berk Sirman

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 02:36 pm:   

Hi everyone,

I received a Yashica J-5 in cosmetically ok (actually pretty good except for the scratches on bottom plate) but mechanically horrible condition. Shutter speeds are off and inconsistent on slow speeds (I have no device to measure the faster ones), I hear whirling buzzing spring sounds from inside the camera when I wind it at speeds 1/2 through 1/8 (which means, I guess, that some spring is loosening before shutter is tripped) and nearly everything on the camera need to be cleaned/lubricated. The rear cover does not lock close, the locking mechanism on the camera is stuck. I would like to experiment fixing the camera. I have no high hopes but there is nothing to lose and I think I will have great fun and learn a lot no matter what the result is. How a few questions:

-Is there a relatively easy way of fixing the slow shutter speeds? (without disassembling all the mechanism)

-Is there any trick to removing the leatherette if I need to? And what kind of glue(?) should I use when putting it back?

-Is there any way to test the higher shutter speeds at home without wasting film? I can hear until 1/15 or 1/30 (by comparison)

I hope I can get this working or find another one that is working.I think the metering system on this camera is genious.

Thanks,
Berk

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration