Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Winfried

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 03:13 am:   

I am sorry I have to say this but it is nonsense that the Electro35 and Lynx lenses are uncoated. You can clearly see a dark blue reflection from the surfaces of all these lenses, indicating an antireflective coating.

None of the serious camera manufacturers dared to sell uncoated lenses after the early 50s. However, it seems that the coating of the Electro35 lenses was improved with the introduction of the Color Yashinon lenses which are probably multicoated, and earlier lenses cannot compete with today's high-tech multicoating.

You can see a clear difference between the reflections of a 'real' uncoated lens and one even with poor coating. The uncoated lens will have reflections which seem white, while a coating lens will reflect the light in a different color (usually violet). It is not easy to see this difference with a single light source such as a single bulb, but holding it against a window when the sun is not shining in directly will show.

Older cameras differ significantly in reducing internal reflections between the lens and the film plane. Some use a system of 'fences' with sharp edges and different height, some just use a mat coating of the plane surfaces. But I never had big problems with internal reflections in the camera.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration