Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Martin

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2004 - 11:33 am:   

Against my better judgment I bought a Kiev 60 from eBay just for 'fun'. It is from the dreaded 1992 period and is, of course, riddled with problems that I am dealing with 1 by 1. Before I can shoot a test roll and move on to anything else I need to fix the standard lens' (Volna 80mm) diaphragm.

I have taken the mount off the lens and examined the mechanism. The aperture blades look clean, free from oil and free moving. What seems to be the problem is the mechanism to automatically stop down the iris. It all pivots on a bearing around the glass. A spring in the lens is there to pull the aperture closed (this was very sloppy and I have increased its tension a little). A pin in the mount connects to a lever which, when depressed makes the iris open fully - when released it should let the fore mentioned spring stop the lens down.

In my repairs in cameras so far I have avoided lubricating anything at all, preferring everything to be clean and properly set up instead of relying on oil. However, I am thinking that this might be one occasion when lubrication is called for. I am thinking that I should lubricate the the bearing everything pivots on and the stop down pin mechanism. Is this a good idea? If so what lubricant do you think I should use?

Does anyone have any experience with this lens? Do you think my diagnosis is ok or should I be looking elsewhere?

Thanks in advance for your responses.
Regards - Martin

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration