Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gary Whitehead

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 05:57 pm:   

Hi All,

OK, my first attempt at fixing a camera, an old style (i.e. 1965 model) Canon QL 17, which had a shutter that ground to a halt at slow speeds.

I have approached the shutter (Copal SV) by removing the lens unit from the body (4 screws under leatherette), removing lens elements, and then working my way in from the front of the lens (remove mount for light sensitive cell, shutter ring, copper coloured shutter cover (3 screws), internal shutter speed ring) and finally - Voila - the shutter in its full glory. So far I have tried lighter fluid and alcohol, fixed shutter, gummed up aperture blades.... That however is not my problem (I assume that Micro tools Asahiklin (and daylight for cleaning) will sort that out).

Problem is a bit more feeble - as I was putting the lens unit temporarily back together I found a single solitary ball bearing (< 1mm diameter), which I certainly did not notice on dissasembly, and cannot find any obvious home for. Too large for the shutter, the shutter dial has click stops provided by the shutter itself, and in fact everything looks OK without the inclusion of the bearing on reassembly.

Anyone been here before and can give me a clue as to this bearing's home?

Cheers,

Gary Whitehead.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration