Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jim Brokaw

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Wednesday, November 03, 2004 - 12:06 am:   

You probably can't find everything you need in one book. Thomosy's books are OK, there isn't a great depth of detail but he covers a bunch of older cameras. The old Society of Photo Technologist magazines are very good, but hard to find and sometimes expensive when you do turn them up. Factory manuals are available, sometimes for free download, other times for sale. These can be problematic as they often assume a high level of existing skill, experience with earlier models, and a stock of factory parts and special tools on hand. I don't particularly care for the many sellers of photocopies of manuals, it seems like some infringment of the manufacturer's rights at least, as well as sometimes being a ripoff... but it may be the only way to get the necessary information. I've thought of scanning the repair manuals I do have and offering them for post somewhere to be available free... surely wouldn't be infringment on the many sellers of photocopy manuals, would it... more like turnabout, fair reward. Its a pity the library doesn't carry more of the repair volumes we seek... At least you can sometimes find the 'retail' books (e.g. Thomosy, etc) at the library.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration