Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Tomaszewski

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Thursday, November 11, 2004 - 11:30 am:   

Hi all,
I just received a used Spotmatic that is generally in good shape but is very inconsistant on the mirror return. At shuter speeds of 1, 2, 4, and 8 it almost never returns down, and above that it's about 75% successful. The foam is OK and the mirror doesn't stick to it.
I'm new to camera repair but I've read through books by Romney and Tomosy to see if it's something I can tackle myself. From those books, the stuff I've read here, and what I see when I take off the bottom plate is seems like it might be that the tension on the second curtain is too weak and it's not tripping the mirror release (I can send pictures if anyone cares to help diagnose). I tried tightening the screw though (turned it clockwise 3-5 times,) and didn't see much of a change. How many turns is reasonable? How will I know when I'm pushing it too far? I think Romney said try 3 turns so I was afraid to try much more. Thanks in advance for any input.

Thanks in advance, John T.

(I posted this as an add-on to another related Spotmatic topic but thought that maybe I should have started a new conversation in the first place. Sorry for the double osting)

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration