Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ezio

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 05:08 am:   

I started a tread down here about a Miranda 135mm lens which suffers from what I originally identified as fungus covering the internal walls of the barrels, and I received good advice pointing at this being rather aluminum corrosion/oxidation. Well, things are more complicated, and I thus reopen a tread because the info might be of some use to somebody other.
I have been able to unscrew the front lens element and remove the second element, which looks like two or three pieces of glass cemented together to form a cylinder some 7-8cm long. The fungus or whatever is not on the metal barrel as I thought; rather, it grows on the flat black painting on the interior of the cylinder's mid element, and thus it must be fungus. However, it seem incapable to affect the free glass. Alternatively it is possible that the painting is simply deteriorating, but in this case there should be chips and flakes everywhere inside the lens.
I don't intend to go through taking the cylinder apart and then recementing its elements, but just for the sake of it, what is likely to happen if I place the f--ed thing in a microwave oven? Not that I'm worried to ruin the lens - but if I cause the microwave to explode I'll be in deep you know what...

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration