Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

rick oleson

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 02:26 pm:   

George, those will work better in some meters than others, and in many cases you need to keep a close eye on your meter readings as you go.

The general tendency will be to get a bit of underexposure with a fresh battery, improving over time and becoming pretty good for some months, then drifting toward overexposure as the battery ages. I've had readings of 2.5 stops or so of overexposure in some meters using an alkaline that had been in there a while. If I'd been paying attention I would have noticed it and replaced the battery earlier, but things seemed to be working and I just trusted the meter. If you are getting voltage related errors, they will tend to be worse at higher light levels; not linear, so you can't just change the ISO setting to compensate.

But, especially if you don't shoot slides, the alkalines can give acceptable service if you check your accuracy periodically.

rick : ) =

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration