Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Tomaszewski

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Tuesday, January 25, 2005 - 09:10 pm:   

It can be done with text, C8-H18 is:

H H H H H H H H
  | | | | | | | |
H-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-H
  | | | | | | | |
  H H H H H H H H

Actually the reason I'm posting is that I was confused about this as well. I went to Lowe's and Menard's and all I found was pressurized butane (C4-H10, which boils at about the freezing point of water) lighter fluid. And I've always heard the disposable lighters referred to as butane lighters. I couldn't figure out why I people were talking about using lighter fluid as a solvent when it's a gas at room temperature. Thanks for the info.

As an aside, in the Tomosy books he refers to an "acceptable" shortcut of flooding with lighter fluid to clean out old lube and dirt but I can't quite picture how one does this. Is he talking about taking the bottom plate off, holding the camera upright, squirting lighter fluid up into the works, then letting it drain down and out? What kind of volume are we talking about? Any description from someone who's done this would be appreciated. I have a couple of cameras that I'm working on with slow shutters and I think this is the next thing I should try but am a little reluctant to just "hose them out". Thanks in advance.

John T.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration