Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Wayne

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 07:47 pm:   

John

I would suggest that you email Rick for his sketches and notes which were a great help to me (I can also pass them on if it's OK with Rick).

As Jon mentions, the aperture must be very smooth in it's operation in order for it to stop down properly when you release the shutter. I made sure that I cleaned the blades very thoroughly and removed the operating ring from the back of the shutter to ensure it was perfectly clean as well. I also made sure that the operating gear in the camera body was clean and smooth.

If you have a good look at the back of the shutter and the mechanisms in the camera (cock and release the body without the shutter to see what happens), you'll soon work out how they mate together. Make sure that the little lever at about 2 o'clock is rotated as far clockwise as it will go (Rick mentions this in his notes) before you replace the shutter. This lever opens the shutter blades when you cock the shutter so you can see through the lens. As Jon notes, also make sure that the aperture is wide open. I found that rotating the shutter very slightly in an anti-clockwise direction as I replaced it helped to mate everything correctly.

I had to bend the cocking lever on the shutter a little as it was slipping under the tab on the cocking gear and so was not being pushed far enough to cock it. Then the release wasn't tripping the shutter, but I found that a little bending of the tripping lever to get the right clearance and a touch of lube on the relevant tab did the job.

When replacing the front element it can go back on in several positions, but I just used trial and error to find the original position. You could save yourself a little time by marking the position I suppose. Once I had it on the right way infinity focus was perfect and didn't need adjustment. Because of the stop for infinity focus and the fact that the grub screw positions are drilled into the front element housing I wouldn't think that the focus could actually change unless the second element is screwed in more or less than it originally was.

I hope some of this info is helpful, let us know how you get on.

Wayne

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration