Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Roland F. Harriston

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 03:33 pm:   

I just tried 3 different Nikon EM's. They have the same very fragile rewind knob assembly as the FG.

I don't think there was ever a set screw on either the EM or the FG.

Two of the knobs unscrewed easily by placing a
screwdriver shank in the slot in the film rewind spindle (the usual method) and turning the rewind knob counterclockwise. NEVER try to remove the knob by applying torque to the metal fold-out winding crank...you will crack the plastic body.

The third rewind knob-crank assembly would not
budge. I could get about a quarter-turn in the clockwise direction, then a quarter-turn in the
counterclock direction, but I was unable to remove the assembly. I applied quite a bit of torque in the counterclock direction but the assembly would not budge.

Upon close inspection, all three assemblies seem to be identical, and it seems to me that I did remove all three assemblies when I repaired these cameras several years ago.

A puzzlement.

I think the shaft is made of a steel alloy while the threaded bushing imbedded into the plastic body of the rewind knob body might be a brass alloy. If this is a valid assumption, it could be significant insofar as binding is concerned.

I tried lightly tapping on the top of the screw as it is seen under the fold-out rewind crank, but I could not relieve the tension.

I have, in the past broken a few of these poorly
designed assemblies, so I decided not the persue
the issue since all three cameras are now in
A-One Plus operating condition.

Perhaps applying a drop of iso alcohol and blowing on it to evaporate it quickly thus causing a contraction differential to occur between the two dissimiliar metals might break the tension. A ice cube or some of that circuit
cooler the electronic geeks use might do the same thing. Just a WAG.

Roland F. Harriston

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration