Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

WernerJB

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Monday, June 06, 2005 - 11:29 am:   

After some reasoning about the "deeper" reason for those wobbly lenses I completely knocked down a Hi-Matic 9 and found what I had expected: that the wobbliness on old Hi-Matics is caused by a loose ring nut that when tightened keeps the lens barrel incl. the shutter in its position. Unfortunately you can access this ring only after removal of the rear lens group. That is to say first you have to deal with dismantling the leatherette, front plate (careful, this requires taking apart of the auto lever connection to the meter and unhooking a spring on the right), loosening the wiring (to be able to get some slack for the operation), light dome plus light baffle. With the right (self-made or provisional) tool (solid tweezers, maybe) tightening of the retainer screw is easy and putting things back togeteher again not too difficult (notes and sketches are of great help if you can't do everything on one afternoon).
I guess the reason for the ring to come loose is that those solid state Hi-Matics, with which this problem is quite common, need some tackling if one wants to switch from auto to manual mode or set the aperture or speed ring.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration