Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jani Heikkinen

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 11:29 pm:   

Hi!

I just got myself a rather rare old wooden folding platecamera which I have been looking for quite a long time. Although it has lots of things to repair and restore, one problem is the most urgent. The wooden bottom part where the folding metal frontcover is attached to, has bent about 5 mm. There is a spring in the middle of the joint between the cover and the bottom part, which keeps the cover closed and provides the movement to close the cover. For some reason the wooden bottom has bent starting from the place where the spring is attached to the wooden body. The wood is some kind of dark and very dry wood, probably ebony but I'not sure. How should I try to bend this wood back? The wooden bottompiece is about max. 10 mm thick and everywhere else it is not bent, just in the front where the spring is. Is there something to treat the old wood with so I could slowly bend it without breaking it? Also probably the only solution to prevent the spring from bending it back is to replace the spring with a smaller one.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration