Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jan Dvorak

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 07:50 pm:   

My understanding, at least as far as Leica is concerned, is that the Leica Digilux 1 and the Digilux 2 use real Leica lenses. So do the Panasonic equivalents of those cameras.

As to the names - all Leica f:2 lenses were always called Summicron, their f:2.8 lenses were Elmarit and Leica is using the same naming pattern for the digital lenses. Of course the designs of the digital zooms are totally different from the prime Summicrons and Elmarits.

If you do read any reviews of the Leica lens equipped digital cameras, you'll find that their performance is really up to Leica standards. I can confirm that - a 4MP Sony with a 'Zeiss' lens was a far cry from a 4MP Panasonic with a real Leica lens, given the same sensor size.

Apparently the Sony 'Zeiss' lenses are a generic lens, made for Sony by a Japanese digital lens manufacturer. I cannot say however, how much input Carl Zeiss actually had in the design of the lenses. And I guess the same would go for Schneider.

Sorry to use words like 'digital' and 'sensor' on this forum.......

All the best,

Jan

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration