Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Glenn Middleton

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 09:58 am:   

By coincidence 5hrs after I posted above the post delivered item 7514173006 from ebay.A FED 3 and Zorki 4 purchased to get the undamaged screws for another project.Nikolai is dead straight and his indication of mint screw-heads was spot on and £14.00 all in was cheap.Examination proved that the
FED 3 had the declared jammed shutter.The excess 2nd curtain all crinkled up indicated that the limit gear was missing or not engaged properly.Removing limit gear allowed shutter to cock,replaced gear.Shutter now fired but stopped halfway.Examination of speed dial indicated that knob was not in correct position.This is easily corrected,just count the indents.Shutter now fired on all settings,stopped half way on all speeds and no slow speeds.Cocked shutter,set 1/1000 and then slapped the camera hard on the tripod bush.Noise of slow speed escapement running down.Shutter then worked properly on all fast speeds.Setting slow speeds reproduced failure again.Answer to problem is the beehive spring on slow speed escapement is weak or corroded and once set the escapement will not run down.This causes the peg on the escapement annulus gear to stop the main shaft fully rotating. Camera now has top off and spring is rusty and thinned.I think people pick the unit up by the spring shaft and moist fingers start the rot.A couple of hours work will see me convert the escapement to work off a watch spring and now I have a problem.The FED is in a good state except for worn vinyl and paint,so I suppose I will resurrect it.The Zorki also had unjammed high speeds after a slap but it also has no pressure plate and so will end in the parts bin and provide some of those screws.
Harlee,get yourself a junker and learn on that.However make sure that it is complete and get the best looking one you can afford.These cameras are so easy to fix and it is so annoying to do a successful repair job and not be able to use it.That is what started me off on my 2nd! repair job many years ago.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration