Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

M Currie

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Saturday, May 28, 2005 - 07:26 am:   

The FT-1 runs on six volts, and won't do much of anything if the voltage falls below about 5-1/2 volts. I just took an ohmmeter to mine, to see what can be tested on the body. Unfortunately, it seems to give no information from the right-hand (+) body contact with or without the power on, but the left-hand one should be a dead short to the body of the camera. On mine the battery case is always a little tricky to get in right, and I don't know how forgiving the contacts are, but I've often had fairly good luck on old corroded equipment by scraping down the the bare metal, and where possible without heat damage, applying a little nub of solder to the cleaned contact. The solder will continue to tarnish but cleans up easily.

There was an accessory battery holder made for these that held AA batteries. Hard to come by, I think (someone else was seeking one here and as far as I know found none), but if you can find another holder, that would be a step in the right direction.

Good luck with this one. Mine, by the way, is defective in a different way: the auto exposure system always sets the aperture at F16, regardless of what the meter claims it's doing. The camera itself was cheaply bought at a yard sale with a Kiron lens that fits my T3, and I was going to retire it, but because it's the only motor driven camera I own I have armed it with a cheap 500 mm. mirror lens which has no aperture anyway, as a potential beater camera to keep in the car in case any eagles or lake monsters should happen by.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration