Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gary

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Saturday, June 11, 2005 - 12:40 am:   

CJ, Are you sure you actually scratched the plastic screen (fresnel)? Maybe you just smeared it with contaminants that were already on the screen? Maybe I'm off base here but I think if you gently used only small amounts of denatured alcohol or glass cleaner on several cotton swabs, that in and by itself would not ruin the screen. What did you use for a cleaning agent? When one cleans the underside of the screen they certainly need to be careful. Some solvents can attack plastic and using too much fluid can allow seepage between the lamination of fresnel and condenser or groundglass (depending on the design). Any gooey or dried out foam seals in and around the screen including mirror bumper should be first removed carefully with alcohol and later renewed with the proper foam. Note: Jim Goodman's foam kits have step-by-step instructions. Always avoid getting that crud on the screen as it just creates more work. I'm sure there are some real good 'how to's' in the archives of this and other sites that will give you good advice on cleaning a screen. Some of that yellow look (smoke-like haze?) might also be inside the viewing glass, on prism surfaces, and on the top surface of the screen. Yes, one can live with it as it has no impact on a photo. Just another distraction I suppose. Perfectionists for sure will detest it.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration