Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Glenn Middleton

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Saturday, July 09, 2005 - 04:34 pm:   

Rick,
I offer a solution to the 1mm extra quoted in book.As I said Kodak offered in 1940 a 235 loading for film,which was a Daylight loading spool of standard 35mm film for the Contax camera.At the same time the standard 135 cassette was offered also.

My solution is that the 235 SPOOL was 1mm larger between the flanges.The only way I can see 35mm film being wound onto a daylight loading spool,would be to have a paper leader to keep light out.To be 100% light tight the paper leader needs to be wider than the film stock,hence wider spool.

The large assumptions made here are that the 235 spool went into a special Contax reloadable cassette and that the standard 135 cassette did not fit the 1930/40 Contax,or that the Contax behaved like a normal roll film camera.

However I cannot see how a spool with paper leader could be loaded directly into a sprocket fed camera,as if it were a normal roll film type.Well I can, but you would get bits of paper from the teeth punching the paper leader.

In the quote the author is referring to 'a standard spool for the Contax'so perhaps we are on the right track.

Anybody know exactly what the 235 daylight loading spool of 35mm film, listed by Kodak in 1940 was?

Glenn.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration