Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Judith Wallerius

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 10:33 am:   

I checked my negatives, it actually worked for three films - 100 exposures - after that happened the first time. But just now it went into its state again...
The camera does not have the squeak nor did it have any other problems, no noises, squeaks, rattles, jams or anything. It just was working fine. It had to be repaired two years ago after someone had dropped it. That time, the top part of the camera (with the serial number printed on) and the slotted take-up spool was replaced. That was also the last time it got serviced. I put about 300 rolls through since then. The cleaning I do is of the q-tip and blowbrush-kind, no lubing or flushing.

After the first time, I tried various time/aperture-combinations and found that the camera would work if I just avoided the "P"-setting which I use very rarely anyway. In "P", the camera flashed "1000" and would not release the shutter. Since the problem with the mirror not snapping down again didn't happen when I tried all that, I decided to just keep using it, hoping it would dissappear...yeah right.
The last three films went without a hitch (no stuck mirror, and no time-failures either, even "P" worked) but now it's happening again and not changing.

-It does not release the shutter, not with cable release, too
-when I went through the timesettings they were displayed correctly in the camera from b to 125,
but 250/500/1000 showed as 125, too, and P gave a blinking 1000
-after that I tried the aperture value, it displayed error all the way from 1.4 to 22
-now in time value it just errors if the lens is on "A" but shows correct display-readings with aperture pre-set on lens, even in "P".

Still won't release the shutter. And yes, I did wind it up :). It also has a new battery and clean contacts.

Is it possible that some dust or something made its way into the area where the aperture/time wheel is read and the shutter released electrically? The not-releasing of the shutter seems to be rather the twin-problem to the not-closing of the mirror that happened first. Maybe openig the camera and cleaning that bit will help, but I've never done that before.

I've been looking around for a used A1 before because I considered having two bodies for B/W and color at the same time, but they don't get in stores to often, at least not in the shops I manage to visit on a regular basis. I'm living in Germany, and might be able to go to Frankfurt if I find the time.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration