Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

CJ

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Sunday, August 14, 2005 - 09:55 am:   

Steve T.,

I'm no expert on this, but perhaps you or others can learn from one of my mistake a few months ago:

I bought a Fujica ST605. It had a very yellow looking image in the viewfinder, along with various crud on the focusing screen (a.k.a 'ground glass).

I took the camera apart and cleaned the focusing screen with lens cleaner & a q-tip.

Bad idea.

I now know--having learned the hard way--that 'ground glass' in many SLRs is actually ground plastic, which lens cleaning solutions will mess up, mark, and streak. You'll rub harder to get the 'streaks off, but that'll make it worse.

So to cut this awful and embarrassing story short, I wound up diassembling the camera again and polished the focusing screen with toothpaste, which did a good job of getting rid of the marks that the q-tip and lens cleaner left. THEN I simply cleaned the screen with Windex, and reassembled.

I probably could have avoided the whole thing by just attacking the crud problem with Windex or any other grocery store glass cleaner.

Cheers,

-CJ

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration