Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Glenn Middleton

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 10:41 am:   

So this is the 'True'macro lens,which raises small problem.It is one of the few nFD lenses that I do not have the official microfiche for.From what details I have,would say that lens does strip from front,either fully or partially.Only references to rear are for general assembly of mount etc,ie removal of the 3 screws will allow female bayonet ring and actuating assembly to be removed.Removing 3/4 internal screws will then allow removal of aperture ring and rear portion of lens holding lock button.If I remember correctly the front element is retained by a threaded ring.

What is mentioned in the general repair details is the fact that at minimum focus,the inner and outer helicoid are barely engaged.Mention is then made of the requirement to get the correct feel in the helicoid.This is evidently done by mixing different grades of damping grease,in varying proportions.If this is not done correctly, then slop and wear will be rapid.

This lens was the only FD item that gave us trouble when subjected to the rigors of a working environment-rapid wear/play in the focus mechanism.We eventually sent the replacement back also.Hence it is not my favorite lens and I do not even have one in my collection-thus no detailed repair notes.I can obtain them,but only the complete 'set'at a price!I have not found a free download of the later series of Canon repair microfiche,which contain the 200mm/f4. macro.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration