Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Alex

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 04:14 am:   

I’ve got hold of an old Zeiss Nettar 515/2 with Tessar 4.5 in Compur-Rapid shutter. Another Ebay folly, I’m afraid. I’m more interested in getting this restored to being a working camera than a collector’s piece, and this one looks like it’s going to need quite a few nights worth of attention. (I need an excuse to give to my wife for why I haven’t got the time at the moment to go and put shelves up in the garage.)

The lens I can clean up, but although the shutter is working reasonably at speeds 1sec through to 400, I can’t cock the shutter when it's at T or B settings. There’s a little knob at the top of the shutter housing, but moving it doesn’t seem to affect the shutter in any way.

The leather covering is dimpled quite a bit all over, so I guess there’s corrosion underneath, and it’ll all have to come off for cleaning. This is something I’ve never tackled before. I don’t know what kind of adhesive holds it on, and I’d be grateful for some pointers on how to get the coverings off (in a re-useable state), and what sort of adhesive I should use to put them back on again. I don’t want to start off using any organic solvents in case there’s a recommended method for this age of camera.

Some of the paintwork around the trim is also blistering, and once again, is there a recommended paint type or method for restoring this?

Any pointers will be gratefully received by me, if not by my wife.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration