Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Paul

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 08:30 am:   

As suggested, I removed the rubber cover from the focusing ring and found - if you can believe it - TAPE. Yes, the halves in the upper lens barrel where held together with two strips of tape.

Once the tape was removed, the halves separated and revealed a loose plastic piece resembling a piston with the top cut off.

The piston has one outer tracking thread to move the upper element in and out for focusing and one inner set of three tracking threads to move
the piston in and out during rotation of the zoom function.

There are also 3 sets of protruding vertical tracks in the inner piston.

The 'piston' had been jarred out of it's socket - which is why the focusing lens elements moved in out freely, independent of the focusing ring.

It is the inner set of 3 tracking threads combined with the 3 protruding vertical tracks which require attention during reassembly.

To re-insert and lock the piston in it's place in the lower barrel:

- the lower barrel has within it, a protruding tube containing the zoom lens elements.

- remove the 3 set screws and the metal ring found on the top of the protruding tube.

- there are three sets of two pins found on the outside walls of the protruding inner tube,

- align the piston, round edge on top, such that the outside pins on the protruding tube will slide up between the inner tracking thread and the vertical protruding track when you slide the piston down into place.

- the piston should simply lock into place and then spin freely in and out of the lower barrel as you rotate it clockwise. Here, the 3 sets of inner tracking threads should track between the pins for each of the 3 sets of guiding pins.

- also, the vertical protruding tracks of the inner piston should be aligned with the holes for the set screws on top of he protruding tube.

- re-install the metal ring such that it's extended tabs fit itside the vertical tracks and insert and install the 3 set screws.

- next, simply thread the top lens barrel - anti-clockwise - back onto the pistion.

- once "tight", you will have to back it off until you find that the zoom fully extends and retracts without binding throughout the full range of focus.

- retape the upper barrels together at the focusing ring, then check to make sure that the lens will focus properly throughout it's full range.

- install the rubber focusing ring and you're done.

MY MAJOR MISTAKE:

As I mentioned before, I am a complete novice at camera/lens repair - which is why, at one point during the experimental phase of repair, I removed the lens mount from the bottom of the lens.

Of course, all manner of electrical contact springs and other assorted whirlyjigs were set flying in all directions. I lost one of the tiny springs and broke an electrical contact bridge - which essentially has renedered this lens useless.

As of now, I'm searching for parts lens. Wish me luck!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration