Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Glenn Middleton

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Saturday, October 22, 2005 - 05:20 pm:   

This fix,if indeed it is a fix is not as simple as Frank makes out.Many people will start by removing the complete eyepiece shutter/photocell assembly and the less experienced will end up scraping away at the fresnel lens, which is also glued onto the metal support frame.

To expose the photocell requires the removal of the white plastic 'wedge' and then the black plastic light shield.As these two items are secured with a black adhesive/light seal care is required,otherwise it is quite likely that the solder connections between the photocell and flexicircuit will be fractured.Make sure the cell is sealed in again properly.

As to the white crystal substance on the plastic covering of the SBC.The plastic covering does not get any crystalline deposit on it.If you examine the SBC you will see that the covering also contains a 5mm x 5mm GLASS window.The glass window does have a white coating on it's outer surface,remove this and you see that the inner surface has a blue crystalline coating.

Now I have a problem with this fix. I have in the last hour stripped two A1s(cosmetic heaps) that give correct exposure values across the whole range - tested against currently certified meter.Both glass windows are covered in a white film on their outer surface.I also know that neither camera has seen the inside of a repair shop for at least twelve years.

Anybody got any NOS Canon SBCs? My initial guess is that there is a coating on the glass,which may or may not be breaking down.The blue inner coating may just be a white one with colouration from the glass window.I think a spell on the old firm's electron microscope is called for next week.

Harlee does not indicate how his A1's exposure is off.If this is Canon's cunning way of ensuring the A Series have a finite life,then the fix will only sort out over exposure.The official Canon A1 manual contains all the test criteria for setting up the metering.Make sure the copy you down load has been scanned properly,so that the diagrams/photographs are clear.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration