Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Henry

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Saturday, October 29, 2005 - 11:30 am:   

It never really occured to me until WernerJB mentioned D Mitchel's words "a spiritual exercise" in another thread. But we really are writing this book: "Zen and the Art of Camera Maintenance". It has no one author. We each are continually passing the baton. Sometimes it is passed way the other side of the world.

The way we conduct ourselves here says a lot. We are an international community brought together on common cyber ground to accomplish a shared goal. What is that shared goal? To fix cameras? Well, on the surface, yes. But I get the feeling we are fixing more than that. We are a small, little forum so mountains will not be moved...but...

A Palestinian was here and got his camera fixed. An Israeli was here for the same purpose. Likewise people from Pakistan and India. Earlier this year I sent a part (actually a whole sub-assy) of a Minolta XE to an Iraqi...and my country was/is fighting his. This list could go on and on. If each of us thinks really hard, we can probably remember helping someone we don't even know, who lives some place we'll never go, fix their camera. That is a very special thing to accomplish.

It is special because cameras are special. A camera freezes a moment of our lives and preserves it until we are really ready to appreciate the memory. We, in essence, are helping to fix peoples memories. And that is a very, VERY special thing to accomplish.

Maybe it is time a few of the authors become known.

Henry

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration