Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Paolo Amedeo

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 07:55 am:   

Hi Tyler,
First, in order to attempt any kind of cleaning / lubrication of the shutter you have to unscrew both the front and rear elements of the lens. Otherwise, you could end up with a mechanically somehow working shutter, but a completely unusable lens clogged with dirt and oil in it's inner part (ignoring the risks of destroying the cement gluing together the single lenses...

If you are interested in a shutter that makes "click" every time you release it, but not so much reliable for speeds and consistency, it could somehow work your approach, followed by spraying in some dry lube (i.e. graphite or, better Teflon).

However this means just calling for more and more troubles to come...

Probably, if you clean each shutter blade with lighter fluid wiping them with cotton swabs, you would remove already enough dirt to get it working again...

Otherwise, a far better approach would be to open at least the cover of the shutter (underneath the front element of the lens there is a either a small screw or a screw with a large head with a side cut out: unscrew the little screw / turn the large one a fraction of a turn, so that the edges of the cut-out will align with the inner edge of the ring where it is locate. At this point, the ring is free to rotate -something like 1/6 of a turn counter-clock-wise - and can be removed, showing all the elements of the shutter. If you are brave enough, you should better remove also the ring for the time dial. In the case you have a digital camera, I strongly recommend you taking pictures before each step.) and rinse the shutter directly.
Then you can apply, sparingly, some very light oil, like the one used for watches.

I bet that, after being properly serviced, this lens could serve you for many years to come!!!

Good luck!

Paolo

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration