Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Brett Sutherland

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 10:34 am:   

I would agree on the 600 volt comment. Probably wasn't real smart. However, that said, it was very low current and that technique is not uncommon for relays and other contacts one cannot get at. The odds of opening something up electrically were very slim. We current limited with a resistor.

Anyway, the good news is I fixed it. Thanks to the web site and how-to tips. It took me awhile to track down the contacts, but I did so. I first tried cleaning, but they weren't dirty to speak of - not even enough to be visible. I ohmed' it out and it still didn't work. So, I removed the contact switch, cleaned it thoroughly and then replaced it, closing the gap up substantially. It now works perfectly. In fact, the timer and the DOF preview now work perfectly as well. They were sticky before.

So, I now have my 25 year old camera functional. I need to run a roll through and make sure I didn't accidentally mess something else up. I didn't remove anything but covers and the switch, so I should be fine.

I would be interested in learning how to do a general cleaning and how to check/adjust the timing, but I'll save that for another day.

Thanks for the info on the foam. I will definitely take care of that.

Thanks to all. Brett in Salt Lake

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration