Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Nikos

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Sunday, December 04, 2005 - 10:21 am:   

Here I am again with the Safari R3 this time. I bought the whole set in 1981 and never used the camera or the lenses. Two years ago I tried to use the camera and except for the light meter nothing worked. Yesterday, I removed the right hand side cover of the camera and the reason of the malfunction was immediately obvious. On the circuit board there is a small two prong spring loaded wiper assembly. The metal part had been dislodged from its plastic pivoting carrier and was short circuiting the board (image available). Putting it back to its intended position allowed the camera to work properly. Obviously it needs to be reattached or a new wiper assembly installed. I have two questions regarding tackling this problem:
1.Is the brass pivot removable? If it is I can either remove the plastic part and repair it away from the board or install a new one. If I can remove the plastic part my options for repair methods are significantly enhanced.
2.By searching this forum and the Internet I concluded that the best glue for mating the two parts together (actually all I need is two plastic “rivets” that will keep the metal part in place through its two tiny holes) is a product by Loctite called either Plastix or Super Glue. It was described by Henry but he couldn’t tell the name since the labels were long gone. Is my impression correct that this is the right glue? If I do the repair in situ (meaning with the wiper on the board) I may have only one chance so I want to start with the right glue.
Any comments, advice, recommendations etc. will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all

Nikos

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration