Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

george welcher

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 10:56 am:   

I don't have a spare speed dial, but I recently removed and replaced one from an MTL5, which are very similar. When you do find one (probably by buying yet another MTL3 junker for parts) you will of course need to set both shutter speed and ASA. There is a geared or toothed wheel at the top of the shutter speed selector which locks into matching teeth on the shutter speed dial. If you rotate it counter clockwise all the way until it stops, the shutter speed will be set to 1/1000 sec. Turn it one click clockwise and it's set to 1/500 sec, and so on.

Setting the film speed is a bit more tricky. This is set by rotating a metal tang which protrudes from the top of the shutter speed selector You could disassemble the other camera's dial, after first recording settings, and set the first one to match. Positioning the dial and speed scale takes a bit of trial and error.

There is an article elsewhere on this site describing MTL3 dissassembly, including shutter speed dial:
{https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/prakticanotes.html} I also have a photo showing the tang position at ASA 100, if that would be of use to you. Email me and I'll send it to you.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration