Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stuart Willis

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 07:18 am:   

Hi Chris - as many on this forum will attest (including Henry) - the mirror-box mechanisms on these models were during production lubed with that awful white lithium grease. Given 40 years of all sorts of temperature and humity conditions it is not unusual for such grease to now manifest as though Five Minute Araldite at the three minute stage. Very stiff and sticky!

There are also four black rubber bush buffers within that mechanism- and they too are inevitable deteriorated to black sticky gunk . Replacements are made by cutting washer-slices off model aircraft engine neoprene or silicon fuel tube. (Make sure you get the tubing with the appropriate bore diameter)

To address all of these things the mirror-box has to be pulled.
It is "doable" but it is tricky on the ME Super and not a task to be embraced by one without experience of the job. There are some pitfalls and you could end up with a box of scrap :-(

I would recommend you entrust the work to someone who is experienced on the ME Super.

Best

Stuart

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration