Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Glenn Middleton

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 06:47 pm:   

Set focus on infinity, 35mm focal length and f3.5.

First remove the three screws that hold the stainless steel bayonet ring in place. These are the screws on the ring that has the lens lock release button. Make sure that you have the correct fitting screwdriver and that it has a large grip. These screws are tight and threadlocked, so need plenty of torque to free up. Make sure the lens is well supported on a thick pad of material ( a well folded towel ) and apply plenty of downward pressure to the screwdriver. If you mess up the screwheads, they are a devil to drill out.

Pull out the bayonet ring - attaching a rear cap will give you something to pull on.

Now lift out the lens mount unit. Never separate this unit, it contains approx 100 small steel balls.

Now look into the rear of the lens; you will see facing you, the heads of three + head screws ( the heads can be black or silver and they are referred to as slotheads in some Canon manuals. I have never seen slotheads used here. ) - these hold the mount ring to the helix/zoom assembly. Tighten these three screws up - tight. It is these working loose that is causing the unwanted movement in your lens.

Replace the rear mount unit and the bayonet ring.

I recently posted instructions on replacing the rear unit on a 50mm FD lens - search the archive if you experience any problems or alternatively contact me.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration