Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Alex
Tinkerer
Username: Alex

Post Number: 21

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 07:54 am:   

I had great difficulty removing the leather covering from a Zeiss folder, and the shellac-based adhesive proved remarkably resistant to organic solvent, which helped a little but not a lot. I ended up using a very sharp craft knife to prise it away a fraction of a millimetre at a time. At some points, the leather was so thin it just disintegrated, so that even when I got it all off (it took many days), its already-deteriorated condition was such that it wasn't worth putting it back again.

The camera had a terrible case of 'Zeiss bumps', so I cleaned these up, put a primer coat on, and am just looking for a source of thin leather to put my own covering back on. It means I forego the Zeiss logo, but as I'm only interested in the camera for using, not displaying, that doesn't matter to me. In fact, if I can find a coloured leather, I rather fancy a deep burgundy, I may put that on instead.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration