Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Alex
Tinkerer
Username: Alex

Post Number: 28

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 08:44 am:   

Halfway there. I took an old TL-Electro-X (also badly afflicted by viewfinder debris) and practised on that, taking off the lever wind, the rewind crank, the top cover screws, the cover on the shutter speed dial, and got to the pentaprism. This is just held in place by two hooks on springs, and once disconnected, the pentaprism lifts straight out. I could see plenty of dust and particles on the top of the focussing screen, and more importantly, I could see where it was coming from. On the TL-Electro-X there is a battery check lamp, and around this there was a collar of soft foam, presumably to keep stray light away from the meter. It had perished, and the perished bits were working their way into the space between the screen and the pentaprism. I cleaned everything up, cleaned the screen and pentaprism surfaces by dabbing them with lightly adhesive tape, then made a new collar around the battery lamp using bits of neoprene mirror damper foam from the light seals kit I got from Jon Goodman. A quick squint through the viewfinder shows the viewfinder clean as new. I expect the FX-1 to be very similar, so I have enough confidence now to have a go at cleaning that.

Many thanks for the advice.

Alex

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration